Who run the world? Girls!
Happy International Girls Day! Today is all about girls and showing them that they can do anything.
Media messages, cultural stereotypes and peers often tell girls that they have to look, act and be a certain way. Kappa Delta created International Girls Day in 2009 to celebrate girls – all kinds of girls with all kinds of interests and abilities. It’s a day to build confidence in girls and help them realize their full potential.
Here are five ways you can celebrate International Girls Day:
1. Plan a day of adventure with the girls in your life. Go hiking, cycling or kayaking. The options are endless!
2. Go out for lunch and talk about issues girls may be struggling with. Offer encouragement for girls to be their best selves.
3. Take a trip to a nearby college and tour the campus. It’s never too early to talk to girls about their goals. What kind of career would they like to pursue? How can they have an impact on the community and the world?
4. Take some time, either individually or with a group of girls, to learn about the lives of girls in other countries, especially those that don’t have the opportunities we have. Find more information and project ideas at Girl Up.
5. Whether you are a mom, grandma, aunt, sister or mentor to a young girl, let her know you are proud of her and encourage her to pursue her dreams. Give her a shout-out on social media, if appropriate, or send her a card in the mail.
Share your International Girls Day celebrations on social media with the hashtag #YouCan.