Georgia O'Keeffe Museum Internship
Each summer the Kappa Delta Foundation funds two summer internships for
KD collegians at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum’s Art & Leadership
Program for Girls in Santa Fe, N.M. The program was founded in 1998 and provides adolescent girls, 11-13 years, with opportunities for independent thinking, skill-building, problem solving and development of their artistic talents. This interactive program seeks to create a support system for girls, utilizing art-making and female artist role models, particularly Georgia O'Keeffe, to promote girls' creative abilities.
In 2008, the Art and Leadership Program received the Coming Up Taller Award from the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities, National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, designating it as one of the top 15 youth development programs in the country.
Kappa Delta interns, along with museum staff, artists and additional interns, lead the Art and Leadership Program, offering an exciting opportunity to work in a creative, high-energy, and fun environment. Applications are due March 1, 2016. The internship runs May 31-Aug. 9, 2016.
Generally, prospective interns are interviewed within four weeks of the application deadline, and notified of acceptance within six to eight weeks of the deadline.
Applications should include:
- A personal letter stating reasons for wanting to be an intern at GOKM including goals; what the intern hopes to achieve from the experience; how the internship relates to career plans; what she believe they can contribute to the Museum; any special skills or abilities that would be applicable to the internship.
- Specific information including: dates available to work; number of hours per week; if doing this for University credit, supply school requirements and advisor’s name.
- Copy of college transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation-at least one from a college professor.
Reference letters should answer the following questions:
- How long has the author known the prospective intern and in what capacity?
- Identify candidate’s strengths and weaknesses in regards to the position requested.
- What qualities does the candidate offer the program or department?
- What will the candidate gain from an internship with the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum?
- Would the author have any reservations about employing the applicant?
Please send all information to Shannon Bay (Gamma Omicron-Wayne State), Art and Leadership Program Coordinator, at the following address:
Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
217 Johnson St.
Santa Fe, NM 87501.
Letters of recommendation and application materials can also be sent via email. Please note: The Museum does not provide or find housing or transportation for interns. A vehicle is strongly recommended.
Review the following links for more information:
Please contact Katie Boyd, project coordinator, if you have any further questions.